Singapore has launched a competition to design a memorial for the founding of the island state.
Those wishing to have a say on the design for the Founders’ Memorial, in Bay East Garden, can leave feedback for the designs of the five finalists at the project’s webite, here.
The shortlisted teams are:
- 8DGE and RSP Architects: This is a circular design, rising above a landscaped podium
- Cox Architecture and Architects61: Inspired by the Singaporean flag, the development is marked by five stars and the memorial which will take the shape of a crescent moon
- DP Architects: Shaped like a cradle, the design is inspired by the hands of the founders that "worked tirelessly, placing nation above self"
- Johnson Pilton Walker and RDC Architects: Also reminiscent of Singapore’s flag, a "recent moon" memorial will be located over water in "lush gardens" and will include a central plaza
- Kengo Kuma & Associates and K2LD Architects: This is focused around a path retelling the legacy of the founders, which leads to an amphitheatre.
The Straits Times reports that the site will have a 5ha footprint, and that construction on the project is due to begin in 2021.
The jury panel will evaluate all five designs and choose a winner in January or February.
All images courtesy of their respective design teams, top image courtesy of 8DGE + RSP Architects