Herzog and de Meuron’s power station redevelopment has opened in Brooklyn, New York. The 461 Powerhouse Arts facility is now a 170,000 sq ft collection of workshop space for artists working with wood, metal, ceramics, textile and print.
Built in 1904, the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Power Station is located between Red Hook, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope. After decommissioning in the 1950s, the Boiler House was demolished and the Turbine Hall left standing.
In the following years, the structure was colloquially known as “The Batcave” and was frequented by local graffiti artists. Then, in 2010, it was selected by the Environmental Protection Agency as a space for renovation.
Elements of the original structure, such as the masonry façade, have been preserved and are mixed with the new remodelled concrete façade of the Boiler House.