A Skanska worker died after being struck by a dump truck last week while working at the collapsed Pensacola Bay Bridge site in Florida.
The incident occurred at around 3.30pm on Wednesday, 28 April.
Police named the victim as 61-year-old Mark Carter, reports local station, WEAR-TV.
In a statement to GCR, Skanska said the man was fatally struck between the main bridge and the 17th Avenue overpass at the site.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our team member and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and loved ones," Skanska said.
"The cause of the accident is being investigated. We are fully cooperating with local authorities and conducting an internal investigation. We want to thank the local authorities for their rapid response."
Skanska noted that work had been temporarily suspended, but has now resumed.
WEAR-TV quotes Nephitoria Williams, Mark Carter’s stepdaughter, as saying: "He has been doing construction forever, he’s very healthy, so to hear he died on a construction site, run over by a dump truck, too many questions.
"What happened? How did he get run over by a dump truck?"
Skanska were selected for a $430m contract to demolish the old Pensacola Bay Bridge and build a new one when its site was struck by Hurricane Sally in September 2020.
Since then five lawsuits against Skanska USA were filed by businesses affected by damage to the bridge, alleging the firm "inadequately secured or relocated" work platforms, resulting in collapse of the bridge, and "crippling, if not insurmountable, economic losses for local businesses".
Skanska USA said in a press statement that some barges broke from their moorings when the storm "unexpectedly and dramatically shifted east", creating conditions that meant it was impossible for workers to make hurricane-level preparations.
The Pensacola Bay Bridge forms part of Highway 98 and was originally opened in 1931.
Image: The Pensacola Bay Bridge after Hurricane Sally (Courtesy of the Florida Department of Transportation)