A team made up of Ireland’s Heneghan Peng Architects, Germany’s Ralph Appelbaum Associates and Scottish artist Susan Philipsz has won a competition to design an expansion of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.
The original church was completed in the 1890s but was bombed during World War II. After the war, the tower was left in ruins as a monument, but in 1957, German architect Egon Eiermann designed a second church that surrounded the ruins.
The new project will expand the exhibition area from 200 sq m to 500 sq m, add a staircase to the old tower and enclose some of complex’s open space.
The second prize in the architectural competition was a submission by Germany’s Wandel Lorch Götze Wach. A citation was awarded to an entry from Nieto Sobejano Arquitectos and Studio Adrien Gardère.